Marine Magnesium with Potassium
What is Marine Magnesium with Potassium?
Marine Magnesium with Potassium is a new product developed to meet the needs of our customers with a specific emphasis on cardiovascular health. Magnesium can help with:
- heart health
- blood sugar levels
- brain health
- muscle contractions and cramps
Magnesium is available in a variety of different forms in a multitude of products, and as with most supplements, some are more effective than others. Our researchers reviewed all the available forms and finally selected one which we believe is the most easily absorbed and beneficial for the body.
Called Aquamin MG®, the magnesium in our formulation is extracted from pure seawater off the coast of Ireland. Apart from it being high in elemental (pure) magnesium and highly bio-available it contains another 72 trace elements which are also beneficial for human health.
Download this [clinical study on magnesium] for the science behind this specific formulation.
Unlike Magnesium, which our bodies need a significant amount of every day, we do not need a lot of Potassium, but it is crucial for cardiovascular health and other functions in the body. Most people are potassium deficient which is why we have included Potassium in the formula.
Do I need Magnesium and Potassium?
Absolutely! If you don't have optimum levels of magnesium in your body of which about half resides in your bones and the other half in soft tissue and organs with only about 1% in your blood you would be in a sorry state. This is because magnesium is an essential component of RNA (ribonucleic acid), which is responsible for making the proteins needed for our cells to function properly (It is estimated that 68% of Americans do not even reach the minimum recommended daily levels for magnesium in their diet).
In addition, magnesium is needed for over 300 metabolic biochemical reactions in our body. These reactions help sustain normal nerve and muscle functions as well as helping support a healthy immune system – not to mention the important role it plays in helping normal blood pressure and heart rhythm.
And these are only some of the well-established benefits of magnesium. There is ongoing research into the role of magnesium and how it may potentially help in the area of Type 2 diabetes, migraines, depression, and other chronic conditions. Low levels of magnesium have been associated with a number of these conditions.
In the case of Potassium, only around 2% of Americans get enough of this essential mineral which works in synergy with Magnesium. We have included 105mg of elemental Potassium in this formula.
How does it work?
The magnesium works in multiple ways. Below are just a few of the mechanisms of how magnesium can benefit your body:
- For your heart health it works by helping your heart muscle cells to relax. It does this by countering calcium which stimulates contractions. Because these two minerals compete with each other the magnesium helps ensure the heart cells do not get overstimulated.
- For your brain health it works by being the gatekeeper of the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors. The magnesium sits inside these receptors preventing them from over stimulation which in turn can kill nerve cells and in turn may cause brain damage.
- For muscle contractions. Although there are mixed results from studies addressing the application of magnesium to relieve cramps there is evidence that it can be helpful with many people. Cramps occur when there is not enough magnesium to compete with calcium which binds with proteins such as troponin C and myosin which triggers off contractions.
- For improved blood sugar control as magnesium helps regulate insulin and moves sugar out of the blood and into the cells for storage. Various short-term studies have shown that magnesium has significantly helped reduce fasting blood sugar levels in type 2 diabetics. Longer term studies are still needed to be conclusive.